First, What is SHRM:
- SHRM is the Society for Human Resource Management, an international organization of professionals in the Human Resource (HR) related fields.
- SHRM strives to increase leadership, education, and research in the HR field, provides a community for HR professionals, and builds partnerships that one can use as support throughout their career.
Second, How is UWF’s SHRM different?
- We are not different, BUT we are a Student Affiliate Chapter. This means we are not current professionals in HR related fields, but we are students with an interest in HR related topics.
- We communicate with the Greater Pensacola SHRM (GPSHRM) in attempts to connect the HR professional community with the interested students at the University of West Florida (UWF).
- We provide UWF students with the opportunity to expand their skills and network with like-minded peers.
Next, What does UWF’s SHRM do?
- We are a student run organization that provides the opportunity to develop and use work related skills that transfer to the wide variety of HR related tasks one may encounter in their future career.
- Skills include: Budget presentations and building, maintaining the organization’s budget, membership recruitment-personally and through electronic services, event planning, professional and social networking, planning agendas, fundraising, and developing an activity plan for the semester/year
- We also work to send interested students the Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology (SIOP) conference. This conference focuses on both academic and professional field research. By attending, the students get to expand their research knowledge of the field and meet professionals from both the business world and academia.
- On top of all our work related activities… We love to socialize! Communication skills and networking are the business side of socialization; one way to practice is through holding group social events - and we enjoy our “practice.”
- Past events include: Shrimp & SHRM, Casa Ole Volleyball with Psi Chi, the Psychology club, and the Faculty, group dinners after Graduate Student Orientation and SIOP, and a Bake Party (to prepare for our fundraising bake sale)
Finally, how do I join?
- The first step is to go to http://www.shrm.org and in the “About SHRM” tab there is a “Membership” link, click that and it will take you to their membership page. Here you can look more into the benefits of joining SHRM. Then go down to the “Become a SHRM Member Today” section and click on the “Join SHRM Online” link. Click on the “Join or renew as a student” link (this is very important the student fee is much lower than the professional fee), and follow the application process they provide.
- Once you have completed joining the national chapter, all you need to print a copy of your confirmation for our records and fill out our membership information form.
- After you have completed both previous steps staple your confirmation and membership form together and deliver this information to the SHRM mailbox in the upstairs office. You can get to the mailbox by asking Ms. Faye for assistance.
We look forward to seeing you at our next event or meeting!! Check out our calendar (on this site), watch for emails from the Psychology department, or our fliers advertising our next event.